Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cherry Limeade Icebox Pie

I'm late with this one. I made it back in March, but I haven't gotten around to posting it until now. This was easy, sinful, and delicious. It's something I'd probably make once a year, no more than that. Too many calories!



I followed the original recipe from LiveJournal, here. I've adapted it below in a more traditional recipe form.

The pie is creamy, sweet, a bit tart, and generally addictive. My favorite part of pies has always been the crust, so in future for my own personal preference I'll probably make half the amount of filling and it'll be perfect. I found myself leaving a lot of it on my plate. That's not the case for many people though, so make it to your own taste! The recipe provided below is the original unaltered recipe that makes the full pie.



Cherry Limeade Icebox Pie

Ingredients

  • 1 large graham cracker crust (such as Kebler Extra Portions piecrust)
  • 1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 16oz container whipping cream, chilled
  • 1 5.1oz box of instant vanilla pudding
  • 1 bag of frozen sweetened cherries or strawberries, thawed (I used a jar of sour Morello cherries, which has plenty of juice)
  • 1/2 cup fruit nectar (from the thawed fruit, you may need to crush some to get this yield, or obtain it by some other means)
  • 1/2 cup lime juice

Method

  1. Take the clear cover off the pie crust and strip out the paper insert and remove the hardened glue. Wash with warm water and soap and set aside (you'll need to cover the pie once it's been formed).
  2. In a medium bowl, mix the lime juice, cherry juice, condensed milk and pudding mix. The mixture will be thick and sort of purpley-pink. (If you want to make the color more interesting, you can add in a few drops of red coloring for a more vibrant shade.)
  3. In a large bowl, pour in the whipping cream and beat it until you get soft peaks, about the same consistency of Cool-Whip.
  4. Gently fold the pudding mix into the cream. Don't worry too much about the streaks of mix and pudding. Marbling is fine, and actually adds an interesting texture when you bite into the pie.
  5. Scrape out the whipped mixture into the pie plate and smooth it out. (When I had added half the mixture, I plopped in a few cherries then put the rest of the mixture on top. Note, however, that after freezing the cherries will be quite frozen solid and will "interrupt" the otherwise creamy pie, so do this at your own preference!) Then cover and pop it into the freezer to firm up for an hour or so.
  6. At this point you can add cherries on top of the pie and let it refreeze, or you can simply serve them on the side or not at all.
  7. When firmed up to a soft frozen state, slice and serve.

A couple of yummy photos from the original post:

No comments: